Firefall features both a large, open-world cooperative campaign that can be shared with hundreds of other players as well as a competitive multiplayer component that incorporates things like ladders, tournaments, clans and leagues. Players can loot equipment and level up in order to fight better. The guild equivalent that players can join are called armies, an army can grant its members certain advantages and abilities. Also, there's a high-tech human invention - Thumper, a mining system that is dropped from orbit or by a shuttle, allows a member of an army to gather minerals anywhere in the world, however certain areas appear to be more beneficial for mining than others. When a thumper is deployed it will attract multiple hostile creatures. This was one of a few examples as to events or types of gameplay players will experience.
The player begins with the standard issue version of each of the five types of Battleframes, and can change between them freely. Players level up by completing missions and collect equipment from downed enemies to further enhance their Battleframe's attributes or to add entirely new features to their weapons and abilities. Upon fully leveling their Battleframe, the player is awarded a token that allows them to unlock an Advanced Battleframe with additional specialized weapons and abilities.
- Assault: Area damage raider whose abilities focus on movement and damage as opposed to defense or support.
- Biotech: Combat medic that can use its weapons and abilities to heal friendly players or poison hostile ones.
- Dreadnaught: Heavily armored tank whose main weapon is used to apply suppressive fire and whose abilities are largely defensive.
- Engineer :Combat engineer that can use its abilities to deploy turrets and shields, support friendly players, and hold fixed positions.
- Recon: Single-target damage sniper whose abilities focus on stealth and support in the form of damage and ammo boosts.
Processor (Intel): Dual Core @ 2.2 Ghz (Core 2, Core i3, Pentium Dual Core)
Processor (AMD): Dual Core @ 2.6 Ghz (Athon 64 x2, Athlon II x2, Phenom II x2)
GPU: Nvidia 8600 or ATI 4xxx with 1 GB of VRAM
RAM: 4 GB
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband internet connection
Hard Drive: 20 GB available space