Saga is persistent and played online in a massively-multiplayer environment. Every building you build, troop you buy, and piece of land you conquer remains with you as long as you play the game. That means every time you fight your friends, you won’t have to rebuild your castle from scratch. It also means every time your buildings get damaged or your troops killed, they stay that way unless you repair or resurrect them. Troops gain experience over time, meaning that they move with you from battle to battle, improving their skills and finding exciting new armor and weapons to equip themselves with.
Before you play Play Saga you might want to find a week where you will be able to open up all you packs and find out what faction you have the most of. You can naturally jump right in and start playing the game, but you will have an easier time if you open up all your free packs first. So, plan a head. Take a week where you will play on the weekend and spend a little time each day getting you free pack. You can only open up one free pack a day so start on Monday and on Saturday you’ll be ready to play. This will make it hard to start the game but you will have an easier time all around if you do this.
Now, you have either opened all your packs or you have become too impatient to wait any longer, and are now ready to play the game.
Before you can start the game the first thing you must do is choose a Faction. There are currently 6 factions in the game, but only 5 you can choose from. This is because the Common cards are cards that everybody in the game can use. (Please turn to last pages to look at specific Faction cards and spells)
Now looking at the cards you will notice on the Character cards that they are a bunch of numbers, characteristics for each unit. Don’t worry they aren’t as difficult to understand as it might appear.
CP: The Cost Points to field the unit in battle, (Since on quests you are limited to a specific CP for that quest)
Damage: The high and low attack value if each strike in its attack (the average damage of the 2 numbers is what you can expect each attach to do)
Morale: A number that decreases when under attack and upon reaching 0 will cause a unit to break and try and flea from a fight
AR: Stands for Attack Rate and is you accuracy for each attack.
Range: The distance on the field the unit can be away from its target and hit (0 just means it is a melee unit)
S/A: Strikes per Attack the number of times it can hit or shoot per Volley or Hit (this is more important for higher CP cards)
DR: Is defend Rate and is you basis for dodging an attack
Stamina: The ability to recover from running or charging (Lower the number the longer it take to recover)
ATT/S: Attacks per Second (which is a little weird since no card hits every second)
HP: The Hit Points a card can sustain before being injured or killed in battle (don’t worry you can resurrect dead cards at the temple after each battle).
Speed: How fast a card can move across the battlefield.
Ability: What special the card has and what it does. (Note: abilities always hit.)
Equipment: This list two things and show what a card can equip a weapon and an armor.
Spells: With the Spell Cards they also have specific items. Warm-up, duration, and cooldown are all timed in seconds.
Warm-up: is the length in time it takes to be cast after the spell brought into the fight.
Duration: The length in seconds the spell will last (When the duration is 0 that means it happens instantly)
Cooldown: The time it takes to be able to cast the spell again after it has been used.
Effect: What the spell does and most spells are pretty self explanatory.
Cast Cost: this is how much God Favor it takes to cast the spell
Area of Effect: This is calculated in meters and if the number is 0 that means it works only on a single unit.
At the end there is a description on what the spell does. In This case the Fireball hits units inside the radius for 125-200 damage to each card in effected units.
Damage: Now the most important part of Unit cards characteristics are the AR and DR. There are fancy ways to calculate the percent you hit and dodge, but it’s based on a dice roll between 0 and 49 and the AR and DR numbers in question. Fifty numbers with a chance to roll a zero in which you attack or dodge will fail. For each AR or DR over the opposing card you get 1% hit or dodge with a max of 99% to hit or dodge, that 0 you can roll means that you still can hit or get hit no matter how high you AR or DR is. Basically if your AR is 20 and their DR is 20 you will have a 50/50 chance to hit. Say the AR is 18 and the DR is 32 the difference is 14 so DR has a 64% chance to defend over the AR’s 36% chance to strike. AR 28 vs. a DR of 25 that makes AR’s change to strike 53%.
Att/s: is also important since it and the damage rating you can find out how much damage you can expect to do with each attack. There are only really 3 attack speeds .2 .4 and .8, that translates to once every 5, 2.5, or 1.25 seconds. That along with S/A you can calculate the approximate average damage of each hit. You could try doing a lot of damage per second but since they don’t hit each second that number is pointless. With the Ballista you can see that it does 250-500 damage for an average of 375 and with an AR of 15 they have a 45% chance to hit a 20 DR target so you can expect to hit something 45% of the time each 5 seconds (making it hit about every 2nd attack) for about 375 damage, opposed to the Chersus (a nature unit) that has 30 AR, 8 strikes, and does 5-15 damage per strike. The Ballista has 1 S/A so it was easier to calculate. With the Chersus each strike has its own roll. We can still lump them together since the AR is the same for each one, but we shouldn’t. This gives an average of 10 damage per strike in the attack each strike has a 60% chance to hit a 20DR target, so this mean you are guaranteed that at least half of the strikes in the volley will hit. The actual chances are more complicated but since it is a large number the 40% miss does add up. One strike will miss out of 3 or close to it, making two to three out of each volley a dud. With about 5 out of 8 strikes hitting their mark, the number is about 25-75 damage is closer to what you will do with an average of 50 per volley every 1.25 seconds, but that damage will not be to a single target unless a single target is left and will be spread out among 8 cards in the enemy unit. The chersus will therefore need a long time to deal out the required hundreds of damage to kill a 1 CP card (the hp of the card divided by the average damage of the single strike, 10 making it will necessary to hit its target 20 – 30 times and it will take 4 – 6 seconds before one dies) where as the Ballista will kill or almost kill a 1 CP card each time it hits one. So even though the damage they do over time is close to the same, the Ballista will kill units faster than the chersus just because each hit the ballista does is nearly strong enough to kill a 1 CP card.
Equipment can be used to augment your unit. Each Character card can hold 2 pieces of equipment, but you can boost their stats a different way. Each lvl a unit gains (it is per unit not per card) that unit gains 5% to AR DR HP and Moral. They say it’s up to 50% but since there are only 9 levels that get 5% (2-10) the number is actually 45%, that’s nothing to sear about since only the best of both equipment armor and weapon are needed to equal the same thing.
Starting the game:
Now that you know what to expect let’s start the game.
After starting the game and logging in you will need to “Create New Nation” After reading the tutorial about creating a nation you will come to a very odd sight. At first you will not be able to see where to choose you Nation, but don’t worry you can choose them from the flags on the left that say Order and Brotherhood. Each symbol stands for a different Faction.
From this screen you can also change you banner field, crest, and colors.
Near the bottom where it says City Layout you can change how it will look once you start building. Then give you new nation and name and Click finish.
You will be given another tutorial pop-up. Each building you click on for the first time will give you a pop-up and you should learn what each does. The Stronghold is where you can access the Army management screen to create or modify units, the peasant management screen to tell peasants what to do. Espionage screen to spy or destroy other player’s town crops or units, and the guild management screen (you can create a guild from here but you must ask others to send an invitation to join an existing guild)
The temple is where you can go to the graveyard, to resurrect cards that have died in battle at the cost of God Favor(you must re add them to the unit after they are brought back), access quests (you will be given tutorial quests at the beginning), and Give offerings, here you can give up gold, wood, stone, food, or mana shard to get god favor.
When you start the game you first must create a unit. To do this go to the Army Management screen (quick key A in the game) and you will see the units you start with. Click create new unit at the bottom and you will be given options to what cards you can add. Select a unit and click continue and it will take you to modify unit screen.
This is a picture of a unit that has been around for a while and I have added as many card to the unit as I can (4 X 6CP cards + the 5CP cost of creating a unit = 29CP). On this screen you can add armor and/or weapons (once you get them). This also displays their level new units start out at level 1 and gain experience in quest of fighting PVP (player verses player). Click Confirm to make the unit and continue on.
Saga Online - New Player Guide,
Pages: 1 2